top of page
  • Yajat Shirpurkar

Week 3 - Figuring Out Velocity

Updated: Oct 12, 2023

This week, I spent a lot of time researching and trying to use velocity to drive my thruster smoke. After a complicated start, I was able to make a custom velocity pushing outwards constantly. I then matched the velocity to the normals of the thrusters.

Using a fuel controller I was able to animate the fuel decreasing and increasing like the reference. I played around with the pyro solver a lot to try and match the reference and I am now much closer to the reference in terms of the look.

For the ground crash, I was able to calculate the velocity of the animation and reverse it using an attribute wrangle set to (-1 * v) so that it would shoot the particles outwards. I then used that to drive the POPnet.


Next week I will be working on figuring out how to equate this data to the particle count and start the sand dust look as well as the big hit layer. I have also fixed the camera and made it far more accurate to the original setup. I added the close-up shot where the Jett Trooper gets hit and then switched to the wide shot just like the reference.


Here is the render I have this week! I've used basic geometry and colors for the early weeks but I plan to work on the photorealism towards the end of my Capstone timeline when all the FX is completed

Here is my WIP for the week!


Recent Posts

See All

Week 12 - Close to Crunch Time

With only 2 weeks left, I am not happy with my Capstone. These next 2 weeks I will be focusing on making this Capstone look great in terms of photorealism and the effects intertwining for that realism

Comments


bottom of page